Greetings from Summa FinancialDecember 13, 2017
Tax Season – Preparing to File Personal Taxes for 2017February 9, 2018
Is it getting harder for you to keep the books up-to-date for your business? Even with off-the-shelf accounting software, bookkeeping can be a daunting task. Do you have a bookkeeper but think perhaps they’re not doing a great job for you? Or maybe your business is growing and you need a different level of service and advice that you can’t get from a bookkeeper. There are many reasons to look for an accountant.
Choosing an accountant for your business is a key decision that can propel your business to new heights. Good ones can save time and expense, others can cost you by omitting steps that should have been addressed. To provide some help with this difficult task, we’ve assembled a list of things you may want to consider.
- Qualifications – CPAs are the typical accounting designation in Canada. Ask about professional qualifications and experience. You want someone that has the credentials to back up their work to lenders and potential investors alike
- Insurance – Determined whether the candidate is insured. This protects you in the unlikely event of a significant misstatement
- Scope of Work – Make sure the prospective accountant does more than bookkeeping and tax filings. Even if your needs are modest now, someone who can provide advice, help you grow and add value to your business is most desirable
- Testimonials – Get an understanding of the type of clients in their portfolio and ask for references. You should have no difficulty accessing these
- Relevant Work – Ask about experience in your industry. Knowledge in your specific vertical is extremely valuable
- Cloud Capability – Is the accountant digitally competent? Do they offer cloud-based services so you can share documentation without unnecessary meetings?
- Compatibility – Does their accounting software line up with yours? Can it be easily imported?
- Likeability – Do you sense good rapport? Can you work with this person/firm?
- Play the Field – Meet with several prospects. Money may not be the deciding factor but inquire about costs and what services are provided for that fee
Deciding on the right accountant for your business can be an important component for success. Finding one that can analyze the numbers to steer you in the right direction can be a game-changer.
At Summa Financial, we have assembled a team with experience in a vast array of industries. Collectively, we’ve been helping local businesses in HRM for several decades. To find out more, please visit us at https://www.summafinancial.ca/contact-summa/ or give us a call at 902-453-4677. We’d love to talk to you.